Personal Helper – Volunteer Position
If you are someone looking for meaningful volunteer experience as a personal helper, (example: a student in any facet of health care, someone considering going into this type of work, or perhaps someone who simply likes to help others) then this volunteer position is for you.
I am a highly intelligent female adult with a physical disability, who is in need of extra assistance beyond the hours I can pay, I am seeking a few reliable volunteers to help me out.
What you will get in return is valuable and practical training/work experience, plenty of opportunity to learn, an enjoyable volunteer work environment, a valuable reference letter for future jobs, and much more. As well, if a paid position does become available, if you’ve proven yourself to be reliable, you will become a good candidate for the paid position.
If this sounds interesting to you, read on………..
Job Title: Personal Helper – Volunteer Position.
Location: West End – Halifax, NS, Canada
- To be determined, pending an agreement between the successful candidate and the employer (which is an individual person).
- Both Female and male applicants are welcome. The emphases will be put on the best suited volunteers, regardless of gender.
- Based on need and availability.
- This position will ask volunteers to do “fill-in-shifts”, relief shifts, holiday shifts, and/or split shifts.
- Shifts will include mornings – late evenings, on any day of the week.
- It will be appreciated if volunteers are willing to sometimes work flexible hours, on short notice, and either for short or long periods of time.
Please Note the following:
- Three (3) professional reference e-mail contacts are required (i.e. employer, teacher, clergy, etc.)
- Volunteers must sign a Confidentiality Agreement.
- A preference will be given to volunteers who are willing to make this position a high priority.
- Volunteers must be non-smokers, and must not wear scented cosmetics, (including times of the interview and while volunteering) as the individual has Asthma and is allergic to scented products.
- Volunteers will need to pay for their own bus tickets/pass when accompanying, (traveling with) the person they are assisting.
Position Requirements – Volunteers must be willing/able to:
- Do personal care.
- Do pivot transfers.
- Do heavier lifting on rear occasions.
- Be available to take care of duties that may arise.
- When needed for extremely rare overnight assistance, volunteers do not need to be vigilantly awake, but need to be a light sleeper and easily awakened.
- Enjoy being active, on the go in the general community, and meeting people.
- Have a positive, well mannered, easy-going, non-institutional attitude.
- Easy to contact by both cell phone, e-mail, and Facebook Messaging.
- Willing to travel by bus when the person uses her power chair.
- Accompany the person to: activities, appointments, meetings, church events/services/socials, shopping trips, fitness programs, run errands and any other outings determined by the individual.
- Do house keeping: including laundry, cleaning, meal preparation, etc.
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills, and the ability to work independently, and the ability to maintain professional and personal boundaries.
- MUST BE EXTREMELY RELIABLE AND PUNCTUAL.
- Must be flexible while volunteering.
- Must be open minded to unique tasks and situations.
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to communicate very well with this individual.
- Must be willing and able to accept direction.
- Must be willing to expect the unexpected.
- Note: Medical training is NOT a necessity, but certificates in First Aid and CPR, and a knowledge of diabetic dietary meals, are pluses.
- Previous experience is not essential, just a willingness to learn.
- Basic knowledge of mechanical tools, sewing skills, and cooking, are also assets.
To initiate the volunteer process:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Personal Helper – Volunteer” as the subject line. In your e-mail include why you are interested in being a volunteer and why you feel you would be a good person for this volunteer position. If you can describe concrete examples of your reliability and other skills listed above, please do so.